Saturday, August 16, 2014

Rosehip Conserve

I have some wonderful remedies on the stove for clients and just a little time to write...and I cannot resist letting you know about the fantastic rosehip conserve I made. This is such an easy recipe to make and it took the place of syrup for my pancakes, jelly for my toast, and it tasted like it would make an amazing topping for ice cream. I started with a recipe from Healing Tonics, put together by Jeanine Pollak, and changed it from there.

ROSEHIP CONSERVE RECIPE

  • 8 ounces dried seedless rosehips
  • 1⁄4 cup honey
  • 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
  1. Put the rosehips in a pot and cover with water by one inch.
    Bring this to a boil, then turn down to simmer for 30 minutes. Make sure there is enough water in the pot to keep the rosehips wet.
  2. Take off the heat and let cool.
  3. Press the mixture through a strainer (there are usually a few seeds hiding in there and they are very hard). Really smush it through the strainer, the fibers from the rosehips are the thickener for this conserve, so try to get as much through the sieve as possible.
  4. Put the rosehips and enough of the water from the pot into a blender or food processor to blend them together.
  5. In the food processor or blender mix the water and rosehip mixture with honey and cinnamon to taste (cardamom is good instead of cinnamon, too).

I also felt better when I was eating it and seemed to have more energy, too. Try this recipe when you can, it tastes fantastic and is so easy to make on a free morning.

LIZ JOHNSON

No comments:

Post a Comment